Skip to main content

Water, Water, Water

This has been the summer of rain! This rain has defiantly been the biggest difficulty we have faced in the garden this summer.

We have well over 100 tomato plants planted, and after a certain donation we are probably close to 150! Our tomato plot has been affected by the water most obviously. For a week we let tomatoes sit in standing water with the hope It might stop raining. Unfortunately our patience was not beneficial and we had to take action against the gathering of water. Step one was to dig a hole for the water to gather in this hole is about four feet long two feet wide and two feet deep. In addition to the hole we dug a few channels for the water to flow into the hole. Our second course of action involved using cotton string to wick the standing water away from the base of the tomato plants.

Every day even multiple times of day we have bailed hundreds of gallons of water out of this hole five gallons at a time.

I almost don’t want to mention it just in case the rain hears me but, its hasn't really rained the past couple of days. YAY! It just might be drying out which will help the rest of our summer plans in the garden.

The next difficulty we have accredited to the rain we have received is our corn. Out corn is knee high by July, but tasseling… there is not much we can do at this point but wonder if we are going to get any harvest from our corn. Has this ever happened to anybody? Did you have any harvest?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whoa O We're Half Way There!

At the end of this week my independent contracting at The Garden will be half way over, as well as my summer class. I think this would be a good moment in time to reflect on some of the reasons I am here with the blog Growing Pains in Eden. Thus far, there has been a lot of exploring and learning going on during this period of time. Gardening in a sustainable way, and preparing that one acre for its future users who will benefit from my work season after season, has been quite eye opening. Gardening has opened a door for my faith to grow into as it comes alive in this new dimension. Having the ability to share this exploration with readers has also helped me digest the experiences and knowledge I am gaining. But of course there is still life outside the garden like the ever nearing graduation and job hunt, which I'm sure you will hear about at some point as I go through this season of life. As I get over this half way point it is my goal to remain committed to educating a

How About Some Compost?

At The Garden, redesigning the compost system is creeping to the top of the to-do list. In order to be prepared for when it is time to tackle that project I searched some other blogs for advice and ideas to re-vamp how we are composting, and here are the top picks of what I found. 3 Composting Techniques Everyone Should Know , is a valuable resource for an introduction to different composting styles. For The Garden the three bin style will most definitely be needed do to the bulk of our compost. The three bin style also has the benefit of faster decomposition, making more compost overall. For a backyard, the homemade garbage can tumblers work really well. I made one for my parents' house and they use it regularly. The biggest benefit comes from its portability, and that it is easy to control your proportions of brown to green. Weird things you Did not Know you could Compost , is good to get you thinking about not so obvious household waste you could be putting in your compos

Top 6 Reasons Why I Garden

1.     The flow of gardening. When working in the garden there are a variety of tasks, sometimes you are doing backbreaking work, and others you are pulling weed by weed at your own pace. 2.     Connection to where I live. Having a successful garden requires you to tune into where you live. Knowing your climate, soil, drainage, how much rain you will get (or not get) that year, where the sun shines most, and so on brings greater appreciation for how God designed where we live. 3.     Old fashioned hard work. I love getting in there and getting my hands dirty. I find so much satisfaction when I take a step back and see what my hands created. From digging trenches, building compost bins, trellises, and raised beds, it's been a good day when you’re covered with dirt and sweat and are ready to put your feet up. a work day at my parents house early this spring 4.     Eating healthy. When growing a garden you most likely have vegetables which have come to you much chea