Skip to main content

Growth

My parents back yard is where my interest and exploration in gardening began. 12 years ago we moved in, at that time we had a German Shepard/Husky mix dog, who we loved. The first spring we moved in she dug a gigantic hole under our fence. We could never keep it filled to stop her from getting out of the yard. My parents had a very creative solution and made that corner of the yard a flower garden. Over the years the garden has been willed with perennials that come up on their own every year. It has been like watching an evolution happen in that space. Some flowers have been moved, others taken out, while some have simply grown unbothered.

It was a few more years before we out grew the first corner flower garden and in to more vegetable raised garden beds. Once we stared building vegetable boxes we couldn’t stop. To date we have 10!


It has been such an incredible pleasure to see how this garden has frown and affected my family. My dad is our resident master gardener, while my mom is the biggest skeptic. Every year she seems so surprised that were are able to  grow real produce in the back yard, instead of buying it form the store. It's amazing too look back and see how my interest in gardening developed as our backyard garden developed. Many lessons and garden principles have been learned in this garden. For example learning to plant in the appropriate amount of sun depending on the plant. Another example learned is that every season is different. Rarely do you escape a season without difficulties and rarely do you have a season repeat itself. Seasons of the garden are much life seasons of life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whoa O We're Half Way There!

At the end of this week my independent contracting at The Garden will be half way over, as well as my summer class. I think this would be a good moment in time to reflect on some of the reasons I am here with the blog Growing Pains in Eden. Thus far, there has been a lot of exploring and learning going on during this period of time. Gardening in a sustainable way, and preparing that one acre for its future users who will benefit from my work season after season, has been quite eye opening. Gardening has opened a door for my faith to grow into as it comes alive in this new dimension. Having the ability to share this exploration with readers has also helped me digest the experiences and knowledge I am gaining. But of course there is still life outside the garden like the ever nearing graduation and job hunt, which I'm sure you will hear about at some point as I go through this season of life. As I get over this half way point it is my goal to remain committed to educating a

How About Some Compost?

At The Garden, redesigning the compost system is creeping to the top of the to-do list. In order to be prepared for when it is time to tackle that project I searched some other blogs for advice and ideas to re-vamp how we are composting, and here are the top picks of what I found. 3 Composting Techniques Everyone Should Know , is a valuable resource for an introduction to different composting styles. For The Garden the three bin style will most definitely be needed do to the bulk of our compost. The three bin style also has the benefit of faster decomposition, making more compost overall. For a backyard, the homemade garbage can tumblers work really well. I made one for my parents' house and they use it regularly. The biggest benefit comes from its portability, and that it is easy to control your proportions of brown to green. Weird things you Did not Know you could Compost , is good to get you thinking about not so obvious household waste you could be putting in your compos

Top 6 Reasons Why I Garden

1.     The flow of gardening. When working in the garden there are a variety of tasks, sometimes you are doing backbreaking work, and others you are pulling weed by weed at your own pace. 2.     Connection to where I live. Having a successful garden requires you to tune into where you live. Knowing your climate, soil, drainage, how much rain you will get (or not get) that year, where the sun shines most, and so on brings greater appreciation for how God designed where we live. 3.     Old fashioned hard work. I love getting in there and getting my hands dirty. I find so much satisfaction when I take a step back and see what my hands created. From digging trenches, building compost bins, trellises, and raised beds, it's been a good day when you’re covered with dirt and sweat and are ready to put your feet up. a work day at my parents house early this spring 4.     Eating healthy. When growing a garden you most likely have vegetables which have come to you much chea